Thursday, April 5, 2007

Eddie Robinson's Perfect Cause He Died.


Coaching great Eddie Robinson passed away yesterday at 88. He was a phenomenal coach and a great role model. But I will quickly tire of endless runs of yet another "Perfect in Death" montage replayed over and over on ESPN. It seems like every time someone dies they become perfect as a human being and much better at whatever job they held. Robinson is the wrong guy for me to vent about here since he really was a great guy, but it's just a general distaste I have for the media in clamoring all over people's mistakes while they are alive (which I do my fair share of myself) and worshipping them in death. The same thing happened with Barbaro, who apparently never crapped all over himself and may or may not be the Messiah who will rise from his tomb on Easter. When OJ dies will people laud his wonderful technique for getting away with murder? Will he be exalted as the greatest killer of our time? The best black product pitch man ever? It would make me sick, but I don't think it's the most absurd thing I've ever come up with.

No comments: